Friday, September 9, 2011

Additional restrictions may apply

When I decided to blog about the "fine details" of my life, I thought I would write sweet little tidbits about our day, document the high points and milestones, and post pictures of the things I had made.  But in life, the fine details aren't always positive.  Sometimes they are like the fine print on an offer for a free airline ticket that specify that you can only fly from 11:59 until 12:01 on June 4.  Sometimes, "additional restrictions apply."

The fact is, those details are part of my life too and so I am recording them here.  We had one of those mornings.  The baby woke up to nurse at 4:45 a.m. and wouldn't go back to sleep.  Her big sister woke up an hour later.  After a lengthy negotiation (the fine details of which I will omit), her big brother refused to wear anything but shorts and a t-shirt to school even though it was only in the high 50s.  I burnt the pancakes.  The baby fell asleep during breakfast (10 minutes before we had to leave). We couldn't find shoes, then socks.  Big sister's hair bow was upstairs.  The drain in the dishwasher was stopped up.  The kids were bickering with each other.  I lost my patience and said things I shouldn't.  I finally got everyone out the door and set the alarm only to realize I didn't have any shoes on.

After a little pick me up from McDs (large diet coke with extra ice, please), we ended up having a great day.  I really enjoyed seeing my pals from Bible study and was reminded that interruptions are sometimes part of God's plan.  Lucy got to play with her friends Kyle and Ella and I got to have lunch with two good friends.  Henry got 100% on his spelling test.  We had a great dinner at Bearnos.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, how I have had those days! I wish just a diet coke would ease the pain...I tend to go for the "non-skinny" coffee at Starbucks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I really wanted a cocktail, but I figured it would be in poor taste to show up at bible study with liquor on my breath.

    ReplyDelete