Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Remembering the little things

On Saturday, my baby girl turned six months old:

It seems like only a few days ago, I was holding her in my arms for the first time.

Actually, it seems like just last week that I was bringing this little guy home from the hospital.


And in less than a month he will be six and a half.


It seems so cliche to say, but these last years have flown by so quickly.  We have celebrated birthdays, holidays, first words, first steps, first days of school.  There have been dinner times and bath times and bedtime stories.  Along the way, we welcomed this amazing girl into the world and into our family:


As she started preschool yesterday, I couldn't help but remember that only a few short years before she was the little baby in the carrier and we were dropping her big brother off at preschool.


I have always focused on the fine details.  As a practicing lawyer, I had to know more facts about the case before I could make my argument.  As a mom, I can't wait to ask who my kid sat by at lunch or what she ate for her morning snack at preschool.  At home, I love putting together all of the little details of a party and arranging all of the little accessories around our house.  When I sew, I relish being able to design a garment down to the last button.

Not only do I focus on the details of my own life, I want to know the details of your life, too.  What's in that cake? What pattern did you use to make that dress?  Where did you go on vacation?

But I have to be honest: detailed oriented I am; organized I am not.  I do a decent job recording the big events and milestones.  I am not so good at remembering the fine details of our daily life.  I have realized that the little details that seem so important at the moment quickly fade with time.  Not only do I want to hang on to them, I want to do a better job of paying attention to them.  This blog is dedicated to all of the little things that I cherish right now.  It is time to write them down.

No comments:

Post a Comment