Wednesday, September 7, 2011

First Bites and a new high chair cover

With all of the firsts in our house this time of year, I saved the best for last.

Little Miss Maggie tasted her first food on Monday night.

She had bananas.  She readily accepted the first bite and then started looking for more.  Of course, there were plenty of helpers.
It is funny to me that when we fed Henry for the first time, he seemed so big.  Now, looking at Maggie in the highchair she seems so little.
Of course, I couldn't let the occasion pass without a little sewing project.  My sister gave me this  Eddie Bauer highchair when I was pregnant for the first time.  It is on its third child, not counting various dinner guests like cousins Molly Kate and Max.  The old cover was more than a little shabby, so I decided it was time for a new one.  I used the old cover as a pattern.

The fabric is laminated cotton from Riley Blake.  I hadn't worked with this fabric before and it was a little tricky but not too bad.  I used two layers of quilt batting and sewed as much as I could inside out.  When I needed to stitch directly on the laminated side of the fabric, I put a piece of tissue paper between my machine and the fabric and another piece between the fabric and my needle.  When I was done stitching, the tissue tore right off.  Overall, I was pretty pleased with the way it turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment